Monday, October 11, 2021

Word of the Day -- Rathskeller

I think I mentioned not too long ago that for a time I lived in Boston.  It was on the green line (subway) and before I got the lay of the land, I would have to figure out where to get off the subway by the big Marty's Liquor sign.  But one of the places I used to walk by (I had a lot of friends at BU at the time) was:

Rathskeller -- a usually basement tavern or restaurant.

I never went in, because I never really knew what kind of place it was.  Turns out it was a pretty famous bar/concert venue.  Apparently it closed in 1997.   Too bad, because even though I didn't know what it was, I was fascinated by the name.  But here's the kicker -- until today I never even looked up the definition, because I didn't even know it was a proper noun, I just thought it was something made up.  



No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...