Friday, August 13, 2021

Word of the Day -- Mete

 Yesterday during our GM Tricks of the Trade on Twitch, CEO and mellifluous talker Stephen Chenault posed a question about today's word.  He was pretty sure of the definition, but not as sure of the pronunciation.  Turns out it has a couple definitions but both are pronounced like "meet" or "meat" which I guess makes it a triple homonym:

mete -- to give out by measure; and 

mete --  boundary

I had no idea about the second definition.  I really only knew it as a way of parceling out things, such as punishment, money, gifts etc.  When we were young, my mother always said "mete out the potatoes".  She was famous in our household for her mashed potatoes.  I took it to mean that we each got a proper portion and not to take too much.  My brother Bob would always take too much and Mom would make him put a part back.  Looking back on it, I wonder if my mother was making a play on words? Back then, the standard fare was "meat and potatoes", which if I'm being honest was good, but her vegetables were just god awful.  Usually something from a can and or boiled to death.  But she did love puns.  So did my father, they are where my love of language first started.

But man, what I wouldn't give to have some of her potatoes right now.  

Sorry, got lost in my own reverie there.  Back to "mete".  Turns out, with further digging, that mete is Germanic and Old English and comes from metan which is in part where we get meter, which can be a measurement or even part of a boundary.  It's a very versatile word indeed.  

So if you ever "meet" Steve, buy him some "meat" and potatoes, it's his favorite meal.  Just be sure to "mete" out the portions. :-)

Have a great weekend and we'll see you back here Monday.



No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...