Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Word of the Day -- Barbican

Today we dive into something that should be familiar to gamers, but that you might not know the actual name of.  We all know castles, but do we know the parts of the castle?  

Barbican -- a tower at a gate or bridge.

I guess it doesn't really have to be on a castle, but most castles I have seen have had a barbican or two. They are important because they are the first line of defense from unwanted visitors to your castle.  Guards are usually situated on the barbican and are mostly safe from harm.  The word first originated in the 13th century and as you can see in the picture below, are very formidable.



No comments:

It was an interesting journey Kathy and I took out west. We landed in Vegas and wandered north out of town with the purpose of circling the ...