Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Word of the Day -- Vapid

Frequent readers of the wotd post will remember that my wife and I love puzzles and word games.  This is word in the quiz the other day that I missed.  For some reason I thought it meant something erratic or a fast beat, but in reality:

Vapid -- lacking flavor, zest, interest, animation, or spirit 

means, in a word, boring.  I'm always annoyed when I miss a word in the puzzle, but I'm also excited because that means it's something that I can dive into.  Here's a bit from Merriam-Webster:

Then away goes the brisk and pleasant Spirits and leave a vapid or sour Drink. So wrote John Mortimer, an early 18th-century expert on agriculture, orchards, and cider-making, in his book on husbandry. His use was typical for his day, when vapid was often used specifically in reference to liquor. The term, which entered English in the 17th century, comes from vapidus, a Latin word that means "flat-tasting" and may be related to vapor. These days, you're likely to hear people referring to wine as vapid. You're likely to hear the word in plenty of other situations, too. Vapid, along with the synonyms insipid, flat, and inane, is often used to describe people and things that lack spirit and character.

Now we know!



No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...