Thursday, November 04, 2021

Word of the Day -- Kohlrabi

 I like vegetables a lot.  I've always preferred to have a plate of several different things other than just a steak or a pork chop.  Which is good because I love to eat.  And not just a bit.  I like food and I like a lot of it.  Unlike Steve or my wife, I would eat three times the amount normally on a plate.  Both of them get full before the plate is empty.  This is part of the reason I like today's word:

Kohlrabi -- a cabbage (Brassica oleracea gongylodes) having a greatly enlarged, fleshy, turnip-shaped edible stem

It took an interesting path to English by way of Italian and German. The vegetable’s Italian name, cavolo rapa, combines that language’s name for “cabbage” and “turnip.” The swollen stem of the kohlrabi plant resembles that of the turnip, even though the turnip is a root vegetable and the kohlrabi is a tuber. The plural form is kohlrabies.

                                ~ source: Merriam-Webster
 









No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...