Tuesday, November 16, 2021

(Victorian) Word (Phrase) of the Day

So today I received an awesome email from Word Genius.  This one was all about Victorian phrases that were popular back then, but have since fallen out of favor.  There are some really cool ones that we'll probably explore on other days, but this one just seemed perfect, especially if you have seen me in person before:

Fly Rink --  This physical trait continues through the decades. A "fly rink" in Victorian parlance referred to a bald head. Think about it — a bald head is an open field where flies can gather (especially in the days before daily bathing was a thing).

I do bathe daily, thank you very much, but I do have a bald head.  I started losing my hair in college and before I got to the dreaded comb over benchmark, I decided to just cut it all off.  Thankfully bald was becoming more accepted at that time.  I didn't always like it, and my ears and head are cold sometimes (you won't usually find me out an about without a cap during winter), but now I love it.  Easy to take care of and I can cut my own hair in about 5 mins.  



No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...