Thursday, September 16, 2021

Word of the Day -- Luthier

This is a word I'm not sure I have heard before.  I was looking up a person Mary and I follow on YouTube.  She is makes whole foods, her own cleaning products, etc. etc.  We originally found her while searching out sourdough pancake recipes.  Living out in the boonies the past few years (more on that at another point, suffice it to say it's pretty remote) we've taken to making a lot of our own food -- not only for health reasons, but also for something to do.  Her channel is Bumblebee Apothecary, check it out! 


But I digress... I was looking her up just to find out more about her and her family and I saw that she had at one time been a:

Luthier -- one who makes stringed musical instruments (such as violins or guitars) (source: merriam-webster)

I was struck by how cool that is.  I just picked up the guitar again after my brother gave it to me over 2 years ago.  It is a beautifully made Mitchell six string acoustic.   The design is gorgeous, sleek curves and lines and different tones of wood.  

The word comes from French in the late 19th century, so not that old really.  Derivation is luth, meaning lute, so I guess the first person to be called a luthier was working on lutes.  

To the left is my less than stellar job of showing the front and back of the guitar that my brother gave me.  I really need to work on my Photoshop skills.


No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...