Thursday, December 30, 2021

Word of the Day -- Apricity

I found this word while looking up the definition for yesterday's WOTD Hygge.  It came in an email with words having to do with winter.  And this is one that I absolutely love though apparently it is antiquated and not an official word even.  I say we bring it back!  I mean, after all, who hasn't experienced this?  

Apricity -- Warmth of the sun; basking in the sun, especially in winter.

Years ago I was on a Q&A panel for some convention with friend and creator of Hyperborea, Jeffrey Talanian.  Somehow we got to talking about how I was in Maine and he was in New Hampshire and how much we loved the weather in winter.  He remarked about snow shoveling in shorts and I laughed and said I know exactly what he meant.  

Sometimes, when the sun is beating down on you in winter, and the humidity is low and there is no wind, it can feel like a summer's day.  Those who live in cold climes will know what I mean.  It's such a pleasure to bask in the sun when the weather is cold and there is snow all around you.  

I guess you could say I "appreciate apricity". Sorry... I just couldn't resist.  :-)

 


Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...