Thursday, December 23, 2021

Word of the Day -- Adieu

Today's word of the day was inspired by some texting we were doing last night with our buddy, Kenneth.  He and his wife and son have decided to spend Christmas in the Virgin Island this year and he texted us and when we all get to jabbering, it's usually incoherent jokes, vague references, general banter that only friends of 30 plus years can get.  It was a good time.  

I could probably go back and look at the texts, but I think what got it started was Steve guessing they were in Key Largo because he put up a picture of Humphrey Bogart.  That started us down a well of jokes, quotes, misquotes and miscellany.  We are all old Bogey movie fans and it got me to thinking about watching the old one with my dad late at night.  One of our favorites was The Maltese Falcon.  And the word isn't even English, but French:

Adieu -- Goodbye

That's really all it is, goodbye.  And you would wonder why that is one of my favorite words, right?  It's because of the line I heard it in.  Kasper Gutman says:  "The best goodbyes are short. Adieu".  And I was fascinated by languages as a child and that stuck with me.  And I try to even practice that.  When I'm done somewhere I don't linger, I say bye and go, or when done on the phone, I don't sit around saying a lot of things, I say bye and hang up.  Good words to live by.  So for this blog entry, I bid you adieu!


 

No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...