Tuesday, August 20, 2013

B&N Takes a Thumping

For several years the beleaguered book chain has been fighting the good fight in the face of the recession, the slagging print market, the kindle and a perhaps too aggressive store expansion in the early Ots. B&N held its own and even made some inroads in 2011 and 2012 but 1st quarter this year saw a large reduction in revenue, up to 20% on the Nook side of things and an overall 8.5% for general revenue. Increased corporate taxes hit them this past quarter as well, and an overall reduction in cash flow.

That's hard.

They've suspended the acquisition of new stores and are overhauling the Nook in order to make it more appealing and competitive.


We've done our part in helping the Nook with the PH on that platform. Trollzah!

4 comments:

DesignZombie said...

I actually like it when rpg companies convert their books to the kindle (I know, you where talking about the nook, but still).

I prefer the actual book or having the pdf on my iPad, but when I am on the eliptical, it is easier to read things if they are on the kindle. You can change the size of the font (as opposed to moving the page around and zooming in, which sucks when you are on an elliptical or treadmill).

I found that reading while on those things makes time fly by, so I love to use this to review rules and stuff.

I'm pretty weird, I know

Troll Lord said...

We are on the kindle a bit, but not near enough. The conversion to the MOBI file is a pretty bumpy pain in the rump. I was hoping they would go PDF (I think the Kindle Fire might be) and make it easier.

But I agree its a great place for material.

The Grey Elf said...

The Nook, interestingly, can handle PDFs (and does them well), though it's not one of their default formats.

Unknown said...

I do like my Nook. I have the HD+ now and its my 3rd started with the Nook color. Its really great product just wish they would take proprietary block off and go straight android with the nook and google navigation. Use it all the time for my game PDFs.

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...