Friday, March 06, 2015

Heavy Metal

Back in the 70s, when I began my own journey into the hobby field, Davis, my brother, collected several magazines (collected is really the wrong word, because we didn't collect in those days, we bought and devoured). There was The Savage Sword of Conan in black and white. Marvel's Epic Magazine in full color.  Dragon Magazine in full color. And Heavy Metal in full color.

Heavy Metal was my favorite of all those. I read it from cover to cover. The stories were wildly different. They were eclectic, ranging from dystopian futures, to alien cultures, to the bizarre histories. The stories were new and fresh (and I was younger so that helped) and the sex and violence weren't the main parts of the story, they were undercurrents, always there, but not the focus.

It was good stuff. I recommend, if you have the opportunity, that you pick up all the early issues of Heavy Metal, at least through about 1985.

I haven't picked one up in years, but think I'll do so. See how the old ship is sailing.

Heavy Metal.

No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...