Tuesday, October 02, 2012

cleric playtest


So the ideas I mentioned previously for the cleric were used in the game. I use that term lightly because the nature of play last week left little room for me to playtest anything. We mostly talked to a mermaid, went swimming, crawled down a hole and climbed ladders. I was also far away from the single battle that occurred. 

I did notice two things though. The first thing I noticed was my near constant scouring of my spell list to cast a spell. Having basically opened up the entire spell list to casting, I found myself constantly double checking to see if a better spell was available. Option paralysis set in. The second thing I noticed was that the spell list SUCKED. Again, other than buff and debuff and heals, I was fairly limited in my spell casting. 

I don't know how to fix the first problem except to focus and know the spells even better and then, well, make a choice.

The second issue is being fixed. To wit. Of the spells I am chunking out the door are the augury and divination type spells. They are too problematic for a variety of reasons. I have replaced them with a spell of an unknown name. The intent of the spell is to learn or know the will of the/a deity, either local or of the cleric's choice. We are working out how this works as it requires the CK have a deity and know that deitie's wishes or thoughts etc. How it worked when I cast the first time, was that I saw the ghostly image of a long dead Aughast and witnessed in an indistinct manner the way in which he was killed. This did not do much for us but convey the nature of the deitie's killers and an image of a creature that ate it. The second casting just gave the cleric the information that a new/ancient deity was walking the world again. This was important for the campaign.

my assessment that it was a success, with one caveat, the spell selection and the number of high spells I could cast. So yay for me.

No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...