Monday, September 10, 2012

Pay Back

I had a chance to watch Payback on Netflix last night. I hadn't seen this movie in awhile and as it is one of my favorite movies I cracked a cold Dr. Pepper, made a snack and settled in. It was as bad as as usual. Mel Gibson gives a performance like none other and the movie is paced with tough guy action all the way through. There was an odd scene here and there, scenes I didn't remember. I just assumed I had gone to the bathroom during one. Then Chris Christofferson's role was taken over by a female voice over. I thought hat was odd, but assumed I had stumbled into a director's cut or some such business. That is until we hit the scene where Lucy Lui tries to kill Portar, after the car scene. Suddenly the movie is totally different. Different that is, from the theatrical release, the pay off is different, the hammer to the toe scene is gone, the kidnapping, all of it, gone. In this version they have the final countdown at an "L" station (did I use that word right, not being from New York City I'm not sure that's what the call the elevated trains there). Big gun battle, but very different. Same characters, but very different. They had to have shot the movie twice.

But if you have Netflix, check it out. Its not as good as the original, but pretty damn cool.


1 comment:

thesethingsthatiwrite said...

It is strange when this happens. I was lucky enough to see a theatrical release of the wonderful Brotherhood of the Wolf, and I adored it. I then bought it on DVD and had to watch it twice to take in the fact that two wonderful scenes that explained a whole heap of sub-plot were in fact missing. Just gone...

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...