Thursday, August 11, 2011

Roleplayers inbred?

I just wanted to use the word inbred. So anyway, I read an article this morning about the inborn capacity to do math. I believe this to be the case. Some people just think with and about numbers better than others. Its the same with a 'mechanical sixth sense.' My brother-in-law just intuitively knows how things work. He is actually gifted in that sense (though he often considers it a curse as he has made it his career and everyone and their mother asks him to repair stuff).  Some people are just gifted; with words, making music, giving speeches etc.

So,thinking about RPGers, I wonder what connects them. At one end of the spectrum I have met a navy SEAL who plays rpgs as well as an actuary. There is a heart surgeon and plumber who play locally. Lawyers seem to be well represented as do computer programmers.

Is there a certain inclination with gamers to game? It seems gaming transcends all social and economic strata that there must be another rubric to begin placing gamers within. I have a gut instinct that role playing games specifically reference the seemingly innate 'story teller' in man with varying end goals for the story telling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the common denominator would be imagination. Those folks for whom passive, spoon-fed 'entertainment' like TV and such doesn't tweak their minds as they'd like. Yeah, storytelling IS part of that, since it takes imagination to envision alternate plot arcs and consequences from the same-o/same-o predictable story. Such is my opinion on it.
- Rikitiki

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...