Saturday, March 26, 2022

Gary Gygax and the Terror of Fame

 In 2001 we met Gary Gygax for the first time (see my post here). We didn't have anything of his to sell as we had only begun working together. Work had begun on the Canting Crew and Gaxmoor, but they were still a bit away. We were pushing out own material, the newly arrived Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition d20 adventures Malady of Kings and Dzeebagd. Having met Gary we hung out quite a bit, in the smoking area, the booths and eating at the Old Town Serbian Cafe. He graciously offered to sit in our booth several times and sign books. 

We were very small in 2001 and at Gencon, at that time, the noise was picking up at tremendous volumes. Companies were jumping on the d20 bandwagon at a rapid rate and we were only one. But we had a booth and banner (bought for us by my wife, Kathy) and product. So we sold.

Gary joined several times, and would sit and chat and sign books whenever someone approached. We had a big chalk board up with his name on it and Davis and I stood in the aisle and engaged folks, turning them into the booth whenever we could (this is the core of the con approach to marketing when you are new on the scene, and still is in many respects, as I write this I am at Garycon and the few minutes I was at the booth I found myself doing it again). Gary happily signed books they pulled from their bag or if they had nothing they could take an After Winters Dark Campaign Setting book and he would sign that. 

He engaged with each of his fans, talking and chatting until the conversation was finished. He listened to stories of wild adventures, thank yous for saving childhoods, and the many varied tales of characters and their colorful deaths or exploits. 

I never once heard him complain. He just smiled that slightly crooked smile of his (I suspect a smokers smile, as my own dad had that) and responded with the occasional comment. It was a humble abode that the Trolls offered him, but he didn't seem to mind. He seemed as comfortable as if he were at home. It helped that he and Davis and I could chat, when no one was there, about history and other sundries.

There were many of these encounters, but one has always stood out in my mind. A young father approached with his daughter, pulled into the booth by the sign or one of us, and he tried to introduce to Gary, but she was terrified. I suspect she was 7 or 8 or there abouts. She seemed very sweet but shy and tears began to well up in her eyes as she hid behind her dad's leg. Gary began talking to her, I don't know what he said, I can't remember, but I do remember he just talked to her like she was a person, an adult or anyone else. After a minute or two, he got through to her somehow and she came forward. Just a little at first, but soon enough up to the table. He was still talking to her and she said something or the other...at least I think she did, it fades in my mind some.

At that point her father realized he didn't have anything to sign. He was truly aghast and didn't know what to do. So I grabbed an After Winter's book and handed it to him. Gary took it, signed it and gave it to the little girl. Her terror was replaced with awe...well still a hint of it I'm sure...as she took the book. Her father thanked Gary profusely and they said their goodbyes and moved on.

I have no idea what Gary said in that book. He scribbled something and signed his name, but I suspect, whatever he said, sent her down a gamer's path and one I hope she's still on today.



No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...