Thursday, February 03, 2022

Word (Scottish) of the Day -- Guddle

Again from that email from wordgenius.com, we have another word I had never heard of: 

Guddle -- to catch (fish) with the hands by groping (as under banks or stones)

I have heard of "noodling" which is the (mostly) southern tradition of fishing for catfish by sticking your hands deep in holes along stream and creek beds.  They supposedly latch on, or attempt to swallow your hand.  

I know several people who have done it but you will never see me doing it.  I'm not nervous by nature, and I'm not easily scared, but there's no way I'm sticking my hand shoulder deep in a hole in muddy murky water.  That is just not happening!  :-)

 


No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...