Thursday, July 23, 2026

Gods & Monsters A Mystery

In building the TLG publication history on the Trollwiki I've run into a few mysteries. The latest is Gods and Monsters by James M. Ward.

I have three folders on this product. The first is TLG 8017 with a ton of text files in it. The second is TLG 8017-1 with a folder marked 2010, a price quote from a printer and the ad copy. The third is TLG 80172, with the actual print files in it, but no text or cover files. 

The copyright date on the book on the print file in folder 80172 is 2009. The price quote to have it printed, located in file TLG 8017-1 is 2012. It is not signed, though this is not unusual with me and the printer.

There is no print file in folders 8017 or 8017-1. 

The question begs if 2nd printing is 2012, when was the 1st? Or was the 1st in 2012.

Here is my best guess what has happened.

The original was printed in 2009. This might have been done in soft cover format in our shop. Then in 2012 we printed the second printing via Walsworth but failed to update the copy right date (those were hard years with just me, Tim, and peter on deck).

But that leaves TLG 8017-1 in the cold. It is probably one of two things: 

1) This would have been about the time that Tim and I were working on inhouse hardcovers. It was partially successful and I think Gods and Monsters fell into this experimental stage (along with CKG and Monsters & Treasure of Aihrde). The TLG 8017-1 is a stock code that represents the first hardcover printing of which there were only a few hundred.

2) I simply annotated the softcover with the -1 in order to mark the softcover version as the 1st printing.

Another option is that there was never a soft cover version, or the records for the original walsworth hardcover have been lost. 

It is a mystery that warrants some more investigation.


No comments:

Gods & Monsters A Mystery

In building the TLG publication history on the Trollwiki I've run into a few mysteries. The latest is Gods and Monsters by James M. Wa...