Friday, February 21, 2014

New shapes discovered - srsly wtf

When I saw the headline I just stared. WTF I thought, what does that even mean? A new shape. I can see a new animal, a new star, a new whatever, but I sorta thought shapes had all been figured out or mathematically derived already.

But I would be wrong and the foundation of my life has just been shifted. For those interested, the basic Game Die are platonic solids.
Nearly 400 years after the last class was described, mathematicians claim that they may have now identified a new, fourth class, which they call Goldberg polyhedra. In the process of making this discovery, they think they’ve demonstrated that an infinite number of these solids could exist.

 

I don't even know what they are talking about. Here is a wiki article.

2 comments:

imredave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
imredave said...

SORRY too many TYPOs in the first try
Well I have at least enough mathematics to understand what they are saying, but am too cheap to spend the $10 to get the full article. I am not sure why rereading a paper that was published 1937 constitutes a discovery, or why the geodesic dome which has similar properties including the infinite number is not counted in the list. They have also seemed to have completely missed the d30 which meets the criteria of equilateral shapes although not equal angles with only one shape.

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...