Thursday, November 12, 2015

Star Wars and the Good Guys . . .

I read this tongue in cheek article this morning, Star Wars Has No Good Guys, in which the author pokes at the Rebel forces for being as bad as the Empire. I particularly like the "You have failed me for the last time" Vadar always telling the truth scenario. :)

However, I did notice a phrase that I've never heard/read before and one I hope isn't part of any actual philosophy anywhere . . . "violating the principles of proportionate force in war."

I chuckled about it at first but then this sinking feeling settled in my stomach.

Though I'm fairly well versed in European and US history, I rather fall off after World War 2 (my real interests lie in the 19th century). So I looked it up...and sure as crap its some principle espoused by the United Nations.

This has to stand up as one of the most ridiculous concepts created by modern man. War is an ugly business and its best done fast and hard, so everyone can get home. I think it was Ulysses S. Grant who said "If men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail."

1 comment:

Troll Lord said...

Wage war to win! LOL

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...