Thursday, August 12, 2021

Word of the Day -- Mellifluous

This is another one of those sweet, pleasing words that, once you figure out exactly how to pronounce it, is just like honey to your ears.  And with good reason...

mellifluous -- having a smooth, rich flow; \ me-ˈli-flə-wəs

It comes from Latin mel which means honey, and fleure which means to flow so it really is just like honey flowing.  It conjures up images of sweet honey flowing from jars, like the one my brother recently brought me from his home on the gulf coast.  Honey has its own myths, legends and science.  Throughout the ages honey has been food, drink, medicine and more.  Maybe one day soon we'll explore that word in more depth.  

But back to mellifluous.  When I think of the word, it makes me think of honey flowing but it also reminds me of a smooth talker. When I was young and my father would read to me, I always admired his smooth way of talking, the richness in his voice, the calming of the words that would eventually lull me to a deep sleep.  I do not have the gift of the honey tongue, which is why I prefer writing.  

Have a great Thursday folks.  Get out there and use some words...



No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...