Monday, August 09, 2021

Robots Versus Humans

I've always loved robots. It's a thing. AI, the singularity, what it means to be human have bedeviled me since childhood. I blame Robby the Robot. I do not blame that little dog in Battle Star Galactica, Muffy. So I recently started watching Humans on Amazon.

I don’t watch all robot movies. Some are better than others. The one’s that work are similar to almost all tales that work and stick with us. The movies ask simple questions, what does it mean to be human and how will we interact with the robots? The ground has been well trod and Humans makes its way down that path again though highlighted in a different manner with a different ‘human lesson’ and concerns.

One of the more interesting is, what I have called, man’s dogged desire for obsolescence. I don’t know what it is. Sometimes I look around wonder about it. Think of this. A factory owner goes to the floor and asks an engineer to design a machine that can do the work of ten people. The engineer does so and ten men are fired. Then the factory owner asks a programmer to design an engineering program to replace the engineer. The engineer is fired. He then asks a computer scientist to design an AI to replace the programmer. The programmer is fired. You get the picture. There was a Black Mirror* episode about that, I think. Maybe two?

But don’t worry, the future is moving in a different direction. Robots are a side-show to what’s coming. Humans, by then end of season three, pegs it. However it ends up though, I hope our robots are super cool looking.

I’ve already named mine, Kali.


No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...