Monday, April 08, 2013

Grammar Dots

I completely and utterly misuse these. Grammar dots are what other people call ellipsis. The proper use of the ellipsis is in a quotation; when material is left out of a quotation the ellipsis replaces the excised text.

"Steve does not use ellipsis correctly on the blog or on the facebook, he is a dumbass. He uses it incorrectly."

"Steve does not use ellipsis correctly . . . he is a dumbass. He uses it incorrectly."

I use the ellipsis to insert random thoughts, or reference something outside thought train. I should be using the em dash I believe. However, I type fairly fast and the dash is too high up on my keyboard and interrupts my typing.

So I'm going to keep misusing the ellipsis . . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe it is more properly called the 'Uhm' dash.

Troll Lord said...

hahahah

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...