Monday, December 17, 2012

Word of the Day -- Solipsism

Solipsism is an interesting word.  Let me give you the Merriam Webster definition:  a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing; also : extreme egocentrism 

This basically says, at least to me (being a solipsist myself!) that we know nothing outside of our own realm, i.e. my own mind is the entire universe in which i understand and make decisions about the world and my environment.  It's tricky, because that last part, extreme egocentrism, makes it sound like a solipsist is an egomaniac.  I don't believe this is the case.  Rather, I think the word has more to do with a belief that you can only make decisions based on what you know, what you have experienced; and that your world view, be it spiritual, practical, ethereal or concrete is developed through one's own inner system.  I can't prove or disprove all things.  I may believe my chair is blue, but how do I prove that?  I only can truly trust my belief that it is.  Someone else may not see it as a chair at all, but rather fire wood.  And my thought that it is a chair means I will treat it as such, but someone else may treat it differently, or not see it as blue at all, but rather red, or green, or magenta, or whatever their systems tells them it is.

This might seem like an extreme example, and it is I suppose, but it helps to illustrate what the word means to me.  I can no nothing for sure outside my own mind and what I define thoughts and theories as.  This doesn't mean we don't have common ground with others, for sure we do.  But we don't always agree, and egocentrism or ethnocentrism can lead one down slippery slopes.  I think if we all start to realize that we are all solipsists it will help people understand that to live in a society, indeed to live in a world such as we do, we must make sacrifices to our own egocentrism and beliefs.  Just because my self is the only existent thing, this does not mean that I'm the only thing I care about, my inner self realizes that there are others out there who feel much the same way I do, but it also realizes there are just as many who differ from me.

Just my two cents worth... feel free to leave your comments and thoughts.  I think this is a great word that can generate some healthy discussions.  Thanks, Tim Burns

No comments:

Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds: An Introduction

For several weeks now, we’ve been hyping up the Gygaxian Fantasy World series on various platforms, Facebook, X, Instagram, and Twitch. It ...